Sunday, March 22, 2009

Death By Chocolate Cake

Last week my very dear friend Krista had to have a little bit of surgery. {If you're a woman, you can probably guess what kind!}. So, I decided she should have something completely decadent to help soothe herself with. And what could be better than a rich, lavishly intense chocolate cake?! Although I am allergic and cannot eat chocolate these last 20 some years, I sure do love to feed it to others. That way I can enjoy the splendid aroma and pure beauty of chocolate, while creating something sumptuous, without having the reaction!

Anytime anyone in my house has had an illness or surgery through the years, Krista is always the first person at the door with a huge meal in hand. Knowing that Gabby has been so sick, plus now Grammy has been sick too {GO FIGURE!}, Krista flatly refused to let me make a big meal for her. But I insisted on the cake.

I chose today to bake it because all three of her college aged children are home for the weekend at the same time, something that doesn't happen too often. I knew if I sent this cake to an empty nest house while all the chicks were away it may very well kill her and hubby! And since she just survived her first time ever of going under the knife, I really didn't want my chocolate cake to be the death of her!

For some reason this picture makes it look a little lopsided. It really wasn't though.

I wish you could see how pretty the vintage cake plate underneath the mound of chocolate is. It was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend Karen, who knows how much I love such things, and occassionally scours antique malls on my behalf!

The cake was baked in my favorite heart shaped pans given to me by Pat, my lovely Mother~in~law, years ago. They belonged to her mother~in~law before that. I raked grooves into the sides with an icing comb that was another gift from Mom~in~law!

Hmmm...... I sure seem to get a lot of cake related gifts from everyone. Wonder why?

FINAL NON~CHOCOLATE NOTE:

Thanks to all of you for missing me! And for your well wishes on Gabby's behalf. She is much better. She's just fighting the tail end of the head cold now, which she unfortunately shared with me, therefore I remained missing in action even longer!

I plan to spend the next couple of days visiting all your blogs and making some comments along the way. I sure am anxious to see what you've all been up to. I really have missed each and every one of you!

There are even a couple of you I owe e-mails or even phone calls to. I promise ~ I'll get around to it before the weeks over!

Hope you are all well and being blessed!

14 comments:

The French Bear said...

Mmmmmm, how yummy that looks, how'd you get it so perfect? LOL It looks scrumptious!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Scrumptious looking cake!!!! How sweet too!!! Funny, when I had the same surgery, my BFF made me a 3-layer Dr. Pepper cake (which is chocolate)and it became my all-time favorite after that. She then would make it for any reason I needed cheering up, or sick, or for a Congratulations.
Your's looks divine!!! I'm glad the illness in your house is moving out and hope you all feel back to normal soon!!! Have a lovely evening!!
♥ Teresa

BECKY said...

Welcome back, sweetie!! My bloggy world is a little less birghter when you're not around!!

The cake looks amazing...NOT LOP-SIDED!! What a nice thing to do for your friend, Danette!! I'm sure she appreciated it so much!!

Have a great week!! Hope Grammy is feeling all better!!

Hugs and prayers,
Becky

Sandra said...

Oh my, that cake is amazing! And, I just know it must taste even better than it looks. What a great gift for a friend and I'm sure she appreciated it, too.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Becky said...

That cake looks gorgeous - certainly too good to eat! Glad you captured it in a picture! I loved the heart shape, but even more when I read the meaning behind it!

Gabby is such a dear - and so good at sharing, but you better learn that kid not to be sharing everything!! Hope you have a happy Monday and feel better soon!

Big Moochie Kisses and Hugs,
Becky

Kar said...

The cake looks YUMMO!!! What a lucky girl Krista is to be getting a wonderful chocolate cake from a dear friend. Give her best wishes for getting better soon!

Glad Gabby is doing better. Hopefully Grammy will be feeling top notch soon also! :)

Have a FAB day dear!! :D

Claudia Bugh said...

Death by chocolate cake - not a bad way to go :) Your cake looks like something you would find in a french bakery - it's gorgeous.

Glad Gabby is on the mend and hope your friend feels her perky self soon. So nice her children can all be with her at this time.

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

Wow, that is the most gorgeous, wonderfully sinful looking chocolate cake I have ever seen. I feel as if I've gained a couple of pounds just looking at the picture, but oh, it's worth it!! Such a sweet and loving gift for your friend. Hope her surgery went well. Glad everyone at your house is on the mend!

Becky said...

Hey, can you tell us all how your chocolate curls turn out so perfectly? Mine rarely turn out - the only tricks I know are to use chocolate at room temp or slightly warmer and to use a regular veggie peeler. What should I do differently?

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

Dearest Dannette,
Nice to know that Gabby is OK now.. The cake looks really yummy.. You made us eat sneakers bar just to stop our mouth waters.. Have a nice day ahead..

Tracy said...

Chocolate cake...what a great gift! This cake is gorgeous...Hope your friends will be feeling better...and you too! Oh, thanks so much for the lovely feedback you left at my Etsy shop--so glad you were so happy with the earrings you ordered. :o) ((HUGS))

Kathy said...

so glad to hear Gabby is almost at 100%! Sorry that you caught it, my house is going through exactly what your house is going through. Now my throat and ears are hurting and I feel whimpy. I have ordered all sickness out, but my words are falling on deaf ears. I hope you are better and your friend Krista has a speedy recovery! That cake would of been the dead one here, I want to lick the screen, my mouth is watering just looking at it! Everyone stay blessed! Love, kathy

Kathy said...

What a beautiful cake, Danette! Looks yummy too. Hope you're feeling back on track now.
xo...Kathy

Unknown said...

That cake is show worthy! It could be in a magazine! I hope your friend is doing better.

~Liz