Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hot Buttered Toast

Today's post is pictureless. Sorry! That's a real struggle for me!!!
But, you know me~ I can make do with some WORDS.

Last night was another long night. I was up late. Chelsea got home from work around midnight. Gabby woke up feverish again, and after I had been sleeping for about 45 minutes, I got up so Mommy could get some sleep.
I was up until 5:15 a.m. We watched Toy Story twice through {I've got it down pat now!}, snuggled in the rocker/recliner and at 3:00 in the morning shared some hot buttered toast!

Mommy and Gabby are currently sleeping {GOOD THING!}
And ~ YES ~ Grammy is dragging a bit today.

BUT...

I will forever remember a night of snuggling and eating hot buttered toast in the wee hours with a precious grandchild.
Because, you see, at this point in life, I've finally figured out the value of a child and how very fast time does pass.
Sometimes, when I'm standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes, I'll hear one of my daughters say, "Mom". The split second before I turn around, I'll have a random memory flit through my mind of a little girl in pigtails and am shocked {and sometimes even a little sad} to find myself facing a full grown woman! Now, don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed every single age and stage of my daughters, but the heart sometimes goes where the mind doesn't mean for it to and ends up pining away for days gone by.
So, God has been good to me. He has blessed me with the opportunity to have another little girl in my constant care to snuggle, read to, and laugh with. And I now know that the day will come {and way too fast at that} when I'll be standing at that same sink full of dishes, and someone will come up behind me and say, "Grammy", and when I look around ~ I'll face another woman. Gone will be the sweet little cherub faced, pudgy fingered, child with a head full of ringlets that I once shared hot buttered toast with at 3 o'clock in the morning.
Therefore, I will miss some sleep when needed and I will treasure up all these memories in my heart, because children really do grow too fast and I have learned that each day and each moment with those we hold dear has wings and is precious beyond words.
Enjoy your day today and make it a point to hold those you love close to you.
Remember~ the happenings of today, though they seem inconsequential, sometimes get forever engraved in our hearts and there will be a day in the future we are glad for the memory!

Be blessed today!

P.S.
You'll notice on my sidebar some awards given to me by a couple of my blogging friends.
Thanks so much~ I'm just tickled pink you girls thought of me!
There is a smile on my face for each one of you who read my blog and comment back and forth with me. I am enjoying this thing called "blogging" so much more than I ever knew I would.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

your post brought tears to my eyes! you really didn't need a photo, your words captured the story beautifully.

I remember the first week Ivory was born: every night I would hold her and cry because she would be a day older the next morning and knowing how fast time was passing by broke my heart.
I've since learned how to cope ;) and have gotten busy with everyday life, this was a good reminder to slow down and cherish every moment. Thank you :)

I promise to call soon! I hope Gabby starts feeling better!

Becky said...

This brought tears to my eyes, too. Funny how some moments fade day to day, but somehow, a few precious and dear moments are captured by our hearts. Gabby is indeed a darling little blessing that makes your household complete.

Matthew 19:14:
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."

Hilary said...

Well, for pete's sake! I'm sitting her balling. More than just a few tears in my eyes. This was a lovely story, mom.

Love you.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love reading about your precious memories. I know exactly how you feel! I have four grown sons that live all over and I sure do miss them. I would be standing at the sink and one of them would come up behind me, take my hand and twirl me around...and then we would dance! Oh my! Happy times! congrats on your awards! Love your blog and thanks for helping me learn to have 'followers'! heehee!

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Okay I got all teary eyed too (didn't see that one coming) lol!! I feel that way when I look at my twenty year old son too. I agree with the other ladies, no pictures needed. :) Thank you for the lovely post.

xx
Teresa

Bridget said...

You are lucky, because you are realizing NOW that it is important to appreciate what is happening, and who you are with - so many people either never learn it at all, or learn it too late.

I hope you get a chance to rest, and lots more times to remember with Gabby before she grows up.

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

My Dearest Dannette,

A lot, lot better than pictures..

Such wonderful words expressing the hearts of all the responsible and thoughtful "moms" and "grand moms" in the world...

Thanks for sharing such lovely thoughts.. encompassing all the love from the deepest core of a mother's heart.

Kathy said...

Danette, your thoughts are stated so beautifully! So many bitter sweet moments in a Mother's life. Thanks, I needed that! from my heart, Kathy

Kathy said...

Bridget, I love what you said! So so true! We should all accept our place in time, and cherish our memories, but dont wish for "the good ole days", for these days are great also.

The French Bear said...

You don't need pictures for us to know how much you love your daughter and granddaughter! It's the most wonderful and precious love to be able to share. I love my grandchildren, each one of them is dear to me. The memories we create with them will last a lifetime.....
You take care, bless you Grammy for being there when you were most needed!
Margaret B

BECKY said...

A very sweet post, Danette. This is the very reason I began We Did It! Wednesdays...to encourage close interaction with our children and grandchildren, knowing how precious they are, and to contribute in a meaningful way to our family's rich heritage!!

We will never regret the time we invest in them, whether they are still young or grown and on their own. I know the time you spend are investing makes God smile, and it delights my heart! Thanks you for sharing...sure didn't need a photo!! :o)

Have a blessed day!!
Hugs,
Becky

Sandra said...

This is such a beautiful post, Danette, you didn't need any photos. Thanks for sharing with us. You have such a great outlook on life and have learned to appreciate each day...something I need to learn.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Wonderful expression of how family life is and can be so special. I've had a few tea parties in the middle of the night myself.

Love your tea cozies cottages ~ so very English :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet post! And every word is soooooo true. My daughter is 21 and I can very much relate to what your talking about. :(

~Liz

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I found my way over here from Becky's blog to congratulate you on winning her giveaway☺

This is such a sweet post. How blessed your granddaughter is to have you. She looks like a doll♥